What to Do When the Other Driver Didn't Have Insurance

Written by: Christopher@maydayhoustonlaw.com

Recovering Compensation If You Are Injured by an Uninsured Motorist

Car accidents happen every day in Texas, but what happens when the other driver doesn’t have insurance? Who pays for your medical bills? Even if you are hit by an uninsured driver, you may still have options to obtain compensation for your losses, but it may take the help of a qualified lawyer.

At the Mayday Law Office, we help car accident victims obtain the maximum compensation available in their cases. In cases where the other driver was uninsured or underinsured, we exhaust all possible avenues to ensure that our clients receive the recovery they deserve. Injured in a Houston car accident? Call our office today at (281) 741-1162 for a free consultation.

Minimum Insurance Requirements in Texas

Texas law requires that all drivers in the state carry liability insurance (proof that they can pay for another party’s damages if they are at fault for the accident). The Texas Department of Insurance mandates that drivers have 30/60/25 liability coverage.

Minimum liability coverage in Texas:

  • $30,000 bodily injury per person
  • $60,000 bodily injury per accident
  • $25,000 property damage per accident

Liability coverage protects other people that are injured or have property damage due to an accident that you caused. Many people decide to get additional liability coverage as well as optional personal injury protection (PIP) and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage to protect themselves in an accident. 

Recovering Compensation After an Accident with an Uninsured Motorist

If you are involved in a car accident with an uninsured motorist, you still have options for receiving compensation. The best way to ensure that you recover money for your losses is by retaining an experienced car accident lawyer.

Ways to recover compensation in an accident with an uninsured motorist:

  • File a claim with your own insurance company utilizing your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
  • File a lawsuit against a liable third party such as an auto parts manufacturer or government entity.
  • File a claim against the uninsured motorist’s employer if they were driving within the course of work.
  • File a personal injury lawsuit directly against the uninsured driver.

A new report by the Insurance Research Council estimates that 1 in 8 drivers was driving without insurance in 2019. In Texas, approximately 8.3% are uninsured. The toll of uninsured drivers is devastating, resulting in higher costs for drivers who carry adequate protection.

What to Do If You Are Involved in a Car Accident with an Uninsured Motorist

In order to protect yourself and your right to recovery after an auto accident with an uninsured (or underinsured) motorist, you must act fast. You only have a limited amount of time to file a claim for damages.

After a car accident involving an uninsured motorist:

  • Call the police from the scene. The other driver may be cited for driving without valid insurance, and the officer can create a police report that may be used to bolster your case.
  • Seek medical treatment. Do not wait to be seen by a doctor or medical professional. Providing evidence of your injuries is critical to your case.
  • Contact our office to speak with an experienced attorney. We can help you determine your legal options after a car accident with an uninsured motorist. It is best to retain legal counsel as soon as possible after your accident.

You may still be able to recover damages if your injuries were caused by an uninsured or underinsured (the other driver’s insurance was insufficient) motorist, but you must act fast. Insurance companies often require that you file a claim within a limited amount of time after an accident, and Texas law requires that you file a personal injury lawsuit within two (2) years of the date of the accident.

Injured by an Uninsured Motorist in Houston? Contact the Mayday Law Office Today!

If you or a loved one was involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist, contact our office today for a free consultation. We offer skilled representation for car accident victims in Houston and throughout Texas. 

If the driver who caused your injuries was not insured, you need a dedicated advocate to get compensation. Call our office at (281) 741-1162 to get started. Cases are handled on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay no fees unless we win. Se habla español.

Share This Story

Interested in this topic? Your friends might be too! Consider sharing this story to your social media channels and look like a smart, sophisticated resource of information.

Get Started Today.

If you were injured because of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, you deserve to have an experienced injury lawyer on your side. Reach out to Mayday Law Office today to discuss your legal options in a free consultation.

I Want To...
uploadmagnifiercrossmenu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram